Sunday, March 1, 2009

Come With Me to Primary...

I'm going to try to post something each day. Today is Sunday...a day of rest. I thought I'd tell you about Primary. I'm in the Primary presidency.

One of the things we started doing about six months ago is making the parents pick the kids up after Primary. I love Primary, but I have to say that I hate having the guard the doors after Primary. Right after "Amen" of the closing prayer, brace yourself! It's a mad dash for the door. Seventy children that have been sitting for three hours come at me, hoping that their momentum and my weariness will get them past me through the door to freedom! I've had a few kids leak out. Some talk their way out. Some follow another family out. Some just RUN.

I have the regulars who try to sneak out EVERY week. The kids are always making up stories to get me to let them go..."My mom is sick today and my dad doesn't know to come and get me...My Dad said I could just go find him...I see my mom over there..." I might fall for some of their stories if it weren't the same kids every week telling them.

Some of the parents don't care whether or not their kids are let loose...some probably would prefer not coming to get them. The purpose behind it is to keep the kids safe. It started after a child was abducted from an LDS church in MA last year. I think it is a great idea, but a little cooperation, please...


6 comments:

Barbara said...

Hmmm, the picture reminds me of our primary kids trying to get out.

Kasey said...

Love the picture and SO TRUE with the regulars and their stories to escape!

banananutmeg said...

hahaha! the picture made me laugh. We are the parents who ends up stuck in the YW room and EQ meeting and are the last to pick up our kids each week...or are so late that the kids are brought to us! I had no idea it was such a madhouse! I'll try to get there earlier next week and give you some relief!

Sarah said...

I prefer the wild children on the loose....banging on the RS door - yelling "Is it over yet?" through the crack of the door. It tends to help the teacher move things along and wrap up that "one last story". I say "free em all!" (but if they can keep mine waiting safely in the classroom...that would be great :)

Emily Larkin said...

I love the idea of of keeping them safe, but I agree it is the WORST part of my Sunday. I almost never came back after Jeff and Traci put me on the door. (It probably wasn't good since I didn't know all the parents and was just handing kids to anyone who would take one.) I was thinking maybe if we have them all line up single file and have line moniters like they do at the schools for the bus. I have always believed that Relief Society should end 5 min before the hour. (for so many reasons, Do we really need a practice Hymn? What are we practicing for?)You do such an amazing job with the primary. Thank You!

Erin said...

That is a great picture to describe the exodus from Primary. I have substituted a few times and I feel your pain. The baby gates are great in the nursery because they make it even harder for them to escape but some of them have still come close if the gate is even open for a second.